- Acronyms and Abbreviations - search for an acronym and see its
expansion or search by keyword to find an acronym.
- American FactFinder - Main access point for 2000 U.S. Census information.
- Answers.com - "A free, add-supported, reference
search service, created to provide you with instant answers on
over a million topics." Content is taken from over 100 authoritative
encyclopedias, dictionaries, glossaries and atlases.
- Bartleby.com - Search over twenty well-known reference works
at once, or select a specific reference title to search.
- Britannica Online Reference Center: Public Library
Edition - Search or browse
for information in encyclopedias, magazines, videos, and web
sites. Part of ELM/Electronic Library for Minnesota; subscription
provided by the State of Minnesota.
- CalendarLand - links to celestial calendars, cultural and religious
calendars, holidays, millennium information, and more.
- Citation Style Guides - A nicely annotated page of links to
various styles for citing both electronic and print sources.
Includes MLA, APA, Chicago, Turabian, Lexis/Nexis, and more.
- Convert It!
- An easy-to-use measurement conversion calculator.
- Convert-me.com - Interactive calculators for common
measurements such as metric and nautical, as well as more unusual
ones like Ancient Greek, Old Russian, and Apothecaries.
- CPI Calculation Machine - Includes a list of the Consumer Price
Index and Inflation Rates from 1913-, and a calculator to compare
the ratio of the value of goods from year to year.
- Currency Converter
- Get past and current conversion rates on almost 150 different
- eHow - "Clear instructions on how to
do (just about) everything."
- Fugitive Fact File - a searchable database of hard-to-find
information maintained by the staff of Hennepin County Library.
Results include the answer, source, date, and web site, if available.
- How Much Is That Worth Today? - Compare the purchasing power of money
in the U.S. (or colonies) from 1665 to any other year, including
to say that name - An
audible pronunciation database of names.
- Index to the Exchange - An alphabetical index to "The
Exchange" column from Reference and User Services Quarterly.
- Information Please - Search or browse the contents of the Information
Please Almanac, Entertainment Almanac, Sports Almanac, the
Columbia Encyclopedia, and Random House College
Dictionary. Also special coverage of current topics in the
- iTools - "Quick access to the best Internet
tools." Includes general search tools, dictionaries and
translators, directories, rearch tools, legal resources, quotations,
- Nova Roma
- Instantly convert Roman numerals to Arabic, or Arabic numerals
to Roman. Includes an explanation of how Roman numerals work.
People's Dictionary -
A searchable, talking Ojibwe-English dictionary that features
the voices of Ojibwe speakers. It is also a gateway into the
Ojibwe collections at the Minnesota Historical Society.
- Old Farmer's Almanac - An online version of the popular Farmer's Almanac,
featuring astronomical data, gardening information, cooking and
households hints, and links to other useful resources.
Dictionaries - Search
over 600 dictionaries at once, including general, legal, and
- Perpetual Calendar
- View a calendar for any month or year since 1583.
- Points of View Reference Center - A full-text database designed to provide
students with a series of essays that present multiple sides
of a current issue. Covers over 250 topics. Part of ELM/Electronic
Library for Minnesota; subscription provided by the State of
- Population Clocks - Up-to-date projections for U.S. and
- Ready Reference - categories of reference materials arranged in
- "The single best source for facts on the Net." An
extensive, searchable, collection of ready reference links.
- News and information blog from the Duluth Public Library's
Reference & Information Services.
- Sun and Moon Data - sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset information
for cities in the U.S
- timeanddate.com - Current time and date for cities worldwide,
plus the capability to generate monthly or annual calendars that
include moon phases and holidays for the years 1 to 3999 AD.
- Urban Dictionary
- "Urban Dictionary is a slang dictionary with your definitions."
- Urban Legends Reference Pages - A searchable site that "embraces not only
urban legends but also misinformation, old wives' tales, strange
news stories, rumors, and celebrity gossip."
- U.S. National Debt Clock - up-to-the-minute U.S. debt figures
plus links to other sites about the National Debt.
- The free encyclopedia that anyone can edit. Contains close
to one million articles. Sister projects include the Wiktionary,
Wikibooks, Wikiquote, Wikinews, and more.
- Get the correct time for anywhere in the world, or calculate
the time difference between any two locations in the world
- Year by Year: 1900-2003 - Part of the large InfoPlease.com site,
this section details major events that happened in the 20th century,
either by decade, or individual year.
- This collection includes dictionaries for 270 languages, glossaries
of abbreviations and acronyms, rhyming dictionaries and specialty
guides for nearly 100 fields.
Duluth Public Library, 520 W. Superior St., Duluth, MN 55802