History Day Resources
- Alterna Timelines - A collection of online timelines for a variety
of subject areas, including History & Culture, Science &
Technology, Arts & Literature, Popular Culture, and Science
- American Memory - Historical collections for the National Digital
Library including photographs, manuscripts, rare books, maps,
recorded sound, and moving pictures from the Library of Congress.
- The American West - This site covers the "history and development
of the American West, from the Frontier and Pioneer days of the
Wild West, to today's Modern West." It includes information
and links about westward expansion, trails, cowboys, Native Americans,
pioneers, trappers, gunslingers, outlaws, ghost towns, and more.
- Any Day in History
- Long lists of birthdays, deaths, events, holidays, religious
history and observances searchable by any day of the year.
- Best of History Web Sites - An award-winning site with hundreds of categorized
history-related web sites that have been rated for usefulness
- Civil War Center - U.S. - links to more than 1,700 Civil War related sites.
- Columbus Navigation Homepage - includes a timeline, information on
his crew, ships and navigation, as well as individual pages covering
his first, second, third, and fourth voyages.
- Discovering Collection - Use this comprehensive database to find in-depth
reference content in Literature, History, Biographies, Science,
and Social Studies.
- Duluth History Blog
- interesting information about Duluth's past, written by Duluth
Public Library reference librarians.
- Eighteenth-Century Resources - a collection of resources on the Internet
related to the eighteenth century, including literature, art,
Buff - "An historical
reference of press coverage from the 16th to 20th century."
- History Day Research in Minnesota - A website created by Minitex, that
is designed to walk students through the process of researching
History Day projects. Provides guidance for research process
and recommends sources available to Minnesota residents.
- Historical Text Archive - comprehensive listing of links to
regional or national history sites, topical history sites such
as Native Americans and women, and general history resources.
- "Indian Affairs
: Laws and Treaties"
- An online version of the print seven volume compilation edited
by Charles Kappler, covering U.S. Government treaties with Native
Americans from 1778-1883 (Volume II), and U.S. laws and executive
orders concerning Native Americans from 1871-1970 (Volumes I,
III-VII). Volume II only is available now, but more will be available
Historical Society -
Information about the Society's exhibits, libraries and collections,
educational programs and book publishing.
- Minnesota History - Index to volume 1 (1915) - present of the Minnesota
Historical Society's quarterly magazine.
- Northeast Minnesota Historical Center - Information about the regional archives
that are jointly maintained by the University of Minnesota-Duluth
and the St. Louis County Historical Society. Browse
the guide to the collection here.
- Presidents of the United States -contains background information, election
results, cabinet members, presidency highlights and assorted
odd facts on each president.
- Salem Witch Trials Documentary Archive - Essays, personal letters, maps, and
court records from the Salem Witch Trials of 1692.
- Today in History - find out what major events happened in the world
on this date, who was born or died, famous books published, etc.
- U.S. Historical Documents - chronological listing of historical
documents from pre-colonial days through the present.
- United States Historical Census Data
Browser - "The data
presented here describe the people and the economy of the US
for each state and county from 1790 to 1970."
- Vietnam- Yesterday and Today - an annotated directory of Vietnam
information including documents, articles, photographs and diaries.
- Wisconsin Public Land Survey Records:
Original Field Notes and Plat Maps - provides access to scanned images of the original
General Land Office notes and maps, conducted between 1832 and
- Year by Year: 1900-2003 - Part of the large InfoPlease.com site,
this section details major events that happened in the 20th century,
either by decade, or individual year.
Duluth Public Library, 520 W. Superior St., Duluth, MN 55802