for Disease Control -
An enormous amount of information from the CDC covering health
topics A-Z, health information for travelers, statistics, and
- Cleveland Clinic Health Information Center - Search for health information by keyword
or health topic.
Trials Listing Service
- check this site for trials that are currently enrolling patients
for trial therapies.
- Consumer Health Complete - Articles on health related topics
from mainstream to complementary, holistic and integrated medicine.
Part of ELM/Electronic Library for Minnesota; subscription provided
by the State of Minnesota.
- Consumer Health Information - Current consumer health information from the
U.S. Food and Drug Adminstration.
- Consumer Reports Best Buy Drugs - Free guidance for consumers on prescription
- Deciphering MedSpeak - Developed by the Medical Library Association,
this glossary is designed to help consumers understand common
medical terms. Also includes a guide to the words doctors use
when writing prescriptions.
- Dictionary of Phobias - definitions of hundreds of phobias.
- Directory of America's Hospitals - An online directory of hospitals in
the United States that includes information on the types of treatment
available, specialized services, and contact information. Browsable
by hospital name or state.
- A catalog of FDA approved and tentatively approved prescription,
over-the-counter, and discontinued drugs, dating back to 1939.
Includes approval letters, labels, and review packages. Browsable
or searchable by drug name, active ingredient, company, FDA action
date, and more.
- Fitness Partner Connection Jumpsite - An annotated, categorized and searchable
directory of hundreds of fitness and health-related Web pages,
plus a library of full-text articles on fitness topics.
- Gale Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders
(e-book) - provides
an overview of mental illness, psychotherapy, and other treatments,
including both traditional and alternative therapies. Medical
writers, pharmacists, and mental health professionals wrote and
edited the 400 signed, alphabetical entries. Subscription provided
by the Duluth Library Foundation.
on the Net Foundation (HON)
- A medical search tool whose goal is to "promote the effective
and reliable use of the new technologies for telemedicine in
healthcare around the world." MedHunt searches
for healthcare websites and hospitals, and HONselect allows
you to search websites, journal articles, multimedia and health
- Health Source: Consumer Edition - Full-text articles from 80 consumer
health magazines, health-related pamphlets and more than 130
reference books. Part of ELM/Electronic Library for Minnesota;
subscription provided by the State of Minnesota.
- Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition - Provides nearly 550 scholarly full
text journals, including nearly 450 peer-reviewed journals focusing
on many medical disciples. Coverage back to 1975. Part of ELM/Electronic
Library for Minnesota; subscription provided by the State of
- Healthfinder - a gateway to consumer health information
from the U.S. government.
- Maintained by the Alternative
Medicine Foundation, this site provides access to Medline articles
about medicinal herb use, as well general information about use
and preparation, warnings about toxicity, adverse effects, and
pictures of the herbs.
Products Database - health
and safety information on household products
- Intelihealth - Consumer health information from Harvard
Mental Health - information
on mental disorders, medications, and other topics.
- KidsHealth - Health information about children from before
birth through adolescence, with separate browsing areas for kids,
teens, and parents, each with its own design and age-appropriate
content and tone.
Disease Network - general
information on the diagnosis, symptoms, and treatment of lyme
disease plus a searchable newsletter, a listing of support groups,
pictures of ticks and rashes, and links to other Web resources.
Clinic - A searchable
site from the Mayo Clinic covering diseases and conditions, drug
information, first-aid and self-care, recent health news,
and healthy living information, including a fitness and
sport medicine center.
- MayoClinic.com: Drug Information - Find information on more than 8,000
prescription and over-the-counter drugs from the United States
- Medicare - The official U.S. Government site
for Medicare information.
- Medline Plus
- A gold mine of up-to-date, quality health care information
from the National Library of Medicine. Appropriate for both health
professionals and consumers, this site provides access to extensive
information about specific diseases and conditions, drug information,
medical dictionaries, directories of doctors, dentists, and hospitals,
and information about clinical trials.
- Merck - A searchable version of the 17th edition
of The Merck Manual, plus links to other health-related
Board of Medical Practice
- Information about the licensing of health professionals in
Minnesota, pertinent statutes and rules, physician profiles,
and any complaints or disciplinary action that has been taken.
Library of Medicine - Medline
- free access to Medline citations for articles in over 3,800
- New York Online Access to Health - "NOAH seeks to provide high quality full-text
health information for consumers that is accurate, timely, relevant
and unbiased." Information is provided in both English and
- NutritionData - Look up food composition and nutrition
information for most foods. Results include a nutrition facts
panel, a calorie ratio pyramid for carbohydrates, fats, and protein,
and detailed information about minerals, vitamins, and other
components of the food item. Also includes nutritional information
for some fast-food restaurants.
- PLoS Medicine
- Provides a free, open-access venue for important, peer-reviewed
advances in all health-related disciplines.
- U.S. News Best Hospitals - Rankings of over 5,000 hospitals in 16 adult
specialties and 10 pediatric specialties.
- Yahoo:Health - links to many health topics including
medicine, drugs, diseases and fitness.
Duluth Public Library, 520 W. Superior St., Duluth, MN 55802