- 1880 U.S. Federal Census - An online, searchable database of
the 1880 U.S. Federal Census, containing more than 55 million
names, more than 95 percent of all households at the time.
- 1895 Minnesota Atlas - State and county maps from 1895, plus an index
to towns and cities. Also Includes links to similar maps for
- 1930 Census Enumeration District Locator - Search this site by street name for
the 1930 census Enumeration Districts (EDs) in select large cities
in the US. In Minnesota, it can be used for Duluth, Minneapolis,
and St. Paul. Knowing the ED can help narrow down your search.
- 1930 Census Microfilm Locator - Contains the microfilm lists for the 1930 population
schedules and the Soundex indexes, searchable by over 120,000
geographic locations, to find the appropriate enumeration district(s).
- American Ancestors - Full-text
of this publication from 1847-1995, plus access to over one hundred
additional resources. Available at the Main Library only.
- Ancestry Library Edition - Provides
access to U.S. Federal Census records, passenger lists, birth,
death, marriage and military records, family and local history
collections, and more. Available at the Library only. Subscription
provided by the City of Duluth.
- Archive Grid
- Index to historical documents, personal papers, and family
histories held in archives around the world, including the Minnesota
Historical Society and the University of Minnesota. Part of ELM/Electronic
Library for Minnesota; subscription provided by the State of
- Canada GenWeb
- Based on the USGenWeb site, this site aims to provide web sites
for genealogical research in every province and territory. Also
includes a Canadian history timeline, facts about famous Canadians,
and facts and trivia about Canada.
- Cemetery Records Online - A database of over 300,000 burial
records and tombstone inscriptions for close to 2,000 cemeteries
- Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers - This database from the Library of
Congress provides digitized newspaper images from the Minneapolis
Journal (1888-1939), the Daily Globe (St. Paul, 1878-1884), the
St. Paul Daily Globe (1884-1896) and the St. Paul Globe (1896-1905).
- Cimorelli Immigration Manifests Online - contains records of the Immigration
and Naturalization Service (1820 - 1902), records of the Immigration
and Naturalization Service (1892-1957), a Soundex Converter,
and ship information.
War Soldiers & Sailors System
- Information on over 6 million soldiers, who served on both
sides during the Civil War. Also includes information on battles,
regiments, prisoners, and medals of honor.
- Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites on the
Internet - A collection
of over 168,000 links that have been organized and cross-referenced
in over 150 categories.
- Daughters of the American Revolution
Indexes & Records
- "This website gathers together indexes by state and county.
Included are death indexes, obituaries, probate indexes and cemetery
& burial indexes."
- Duluth Area Obituary
Index - This on-line
file contains names and dates for obituaries printed in the Duluth
News-Tribune and Duluth Herald newspapers. Developed and maintained
by Duluth Public Library staff.
- Ellis Island Records - Search the passenger lists for over 22 million
immigrants that came through Ellis Island between 1892 and 1924.
Free registration required.
Internet Genealogy Service
- The genealogical site of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day
Saints. The search engine looks through records of over 35 million
names in its Ancestral File, over 360 million names in the International
Genealogical Index, and the Family History Library Catalog with
records from more than 2 million rolls of microfilm, plus thousands
of indexed Web sites.
- Federal Land Patent Records Site - Provides access to Federal land conveyance
records for the Public Land States. In addition to verifying
title transfer information, you can view images of over two million
Federal land title records issued between 1820 and 1908.
- Find A Grave - A directory of the locations of graves for thousands
of famous dead people as well as for over 2.5 million "non-famous
memorials." Browsable by name, location, and claim to fame.
Includes photographs of many of the graves.
- Greenwood Cemetery Index - An index to burials, 1890-1947, at
the Greenwood Cemetery on the ground of the St. Louis County
Poor Farm, later known as the Cook Home.
- HeritageQuest - Provides access to over 25,000 digitized books
containing family and local histories from around the country,
the PERSI index to genealogy and local history periodicals,
many U.S. Census records, and select Revolutionary War era pension
and grant records. Subscription provided by the City of Duluth.
- Historical Minneapolis Tribune (1867 - 1922) - Searchable full page images from the
Minneapolis Morning Tribune. Part of ELM/Electronic Library for
Minnesota; subscription provided by the State of Minnesota.
- Iron Range Jewish Heritage - LInks to cemeteries, and newspaper
articles about Jewish families from Northeastern Minnesota and
- Iron Range Research Center/Minnesota
Discovery Center - A
special library that focuses on the regional, local and personal
history of Minnesota's iron ranges and the people who settled
- Minnesota Birth and Death Certificate
Information - From the
Minnesota Department of Health, instructions how to obtain certified
and non-certified copies of birth and death certificates
Birth Certificates Index
- An index to births that currently covers the years 1900 - 1934.
Additional years will be added as they become available.
Death Certificates -
An online index of death certificates for individuals who died
in Minnesota between 1905 and 2001, from the Minnesota Historical
- Minnesota Genealogical Resources - Comprehensive access to genealogical
information in Minnesota, including links to societies, churches,
cemeteries, churches, and vital records.
- Minnesota Genealogy - the Minnesota section of the huge genealogical
site maintained by Cyndy Howells.
- Minnesota Historical Society - Family History - Access to MHS Library catalogue and
other databases useful in family research. Many articles on how
to research various records in Minnesota.
- Minnesota Official Marriage System - contains marriage records for almost
all 87 Minnesota Counties, but the years covered vary with each
- National Archives Genealogy Page - Research tools, finding aids, and
links to other genealogy sites as well as articles about how
to search for your family history. Contains some searchable databases
including casualty and prisoners of war lists from WWII, Korean
War and Vietnam War.
- Norwegian Archives - Census records, parish registers, probate material,
and more from the Norwegian National Archives.
- Obituary Daily Times (GEN-OBIT) - A database of citations to published
obituaries in newspapers in the United States and Canada. Over
4 million obituaries are indexed with more being added daily.
- ProGenealogists - A wealth of practical genealogy related resources,
including direct links to genealogical records, census information,
and genealogical organizations in every state and country, plus
links to vital and military records, obituary and biographical
services, and definitions of old medical and occupational terms.
- RootsWeb - "The Oldest & Largest FREE
- St. Louis County Birth Records Index - An index to births in St. Louis County
between June 6, 1859 and Dec. 31, 1900.
- St. Louis County Death Index - An index to deaths that occurred in
St. Louis County between Jan. 1, 1879 and Dec. 31, 2000.
- St. Louis County Marriage Index - An index to marriages that occurred
in St. Louis county during the 1800's.
- St. Louis County USGenWeb - A wide range of genealogy resources
specific to St. Louis County, including links to cemetery listings,
courthouses, historical societies, newspapers, church records,
- Soundex Conversion
Program - type in a surname
and the Soundex code is returned.
P. Morse Webpages - Search
aides for census, immigration, and vital records websites, as
well as information that will help with other genealogical research.
- Thunder Bay District 20th Century Obituary
Indexing Project - An
index to obituaries from the Thunder Bay area, starting in 1900.
- United States Resources : Minnesota - the Minnesota section of the much
larger Roots Web. Includes links to local histories, maps, photos,
societies, vital records, and more.
- USGenWeb Project
- A cooperative effort of volunteers from around the country
that are aiming to provide Internet websites for genealogical
research in every county and every state of the United States.
Organization is by county and state.
- Veterans Nationwide Gravesite Locator - A searchable database from the U.S.
Department of Veterans Affairs that contains over three million
records of veterans and dependents buried in VA's 120 cemeteries
since the Civil War. It also has records of some burials in state
- War Casualties and P.O.W.s - An index to information published in Duluth
newspapers on some of the military personnel from the Duluth
area who were killed or captured during World War II and the
Korean War. Developed and maintained by Duluth Public Library
- Where to Write for Vital Records - Addresses and price information for
obtaining vital records (birth, death, marriage, and divorce
certificates) from all fifty states and U.S. territories.
Duluth Public Library, 520 W. Superior St., Duluth, MN 55802