and Writing Sites
Click for: PowerPoint
- A+ Research & Writing - Step-by-step instructions for selecting a topic,
gathering information, and organizing a research project.
- BibMe - Automatically generates a bibliography
for you to copy or download once you enter title, author or ISBN.
- Citation Styles
- Information on the different
ways to cite online sources such as web sites or e-mails. Includes
- Citing Electronic Information - Links to recommended electronic information
- Citing Electronic Information in History
- Databases v. Websites: What's the Difference? - prepared by the staffs of the Duluth
Public Library and Hennepin County Library.
of Style - A classic reference book that outlines rules of
usage and principles of composition. Includes information on
using commas, words commonly misspelled, suggestions on writing
- Evaluating Web Sites: What Makes a Good
- Finding Information on the Internet:
A Tutorial - It's not
always as easy as Google. Learn to use the Internet for research
and do it right.
- From Pokemon to Picasso: Art Rights and Wrongs - Do you need to know if you can copy
something by an artist, author, or musician? Then check out this
award-winning site, written by students, that discusses copyrights,
trademarks licensing, music copyrights, and counterfeits. It
includes pages on how to write letters requesting permission
to use images or text on a Web site, how to keep track of permissions,
how to find copyright rules on Web sites, and how to acknowledge
text and images." To enter the site, go to "click here
to view this site."
Docs - Create a Google
account and use this free site to create or upload word processing
or spreadsheet files and save them online.
- Guide to Grammer and Writing
- Definitions and tips that
are useful when writing a paper or report. Topics covered include
the parts of speech (nouns, verbs, etc.) outlining, writing sentences
and paragraphs, and more.
- How to Cite Film, Video and Online Media - Includes examples. From the University
of California, Berkeley.
Online Dictionary - Search
a dictionary or thesaurus. Also provides audio pronunciation.
- OWL: Online Writing Lab - A guide to
grammar, punctuation and spelling. Includes PowerPoint presentations
on grammar, downloadable handouts and resources for English as
a second language learners. From Purdue University.
Online Writing Assistant
- Advice, tips, and examples for those who need help with a writing
assignment or want to improve their writing. Includes topics
like organizing your writing and documenting your sources.
- A Quick List of Pages to Use in School - Links to pages that offers quick tips
on how to find out if something is copyrighted, how to get permission
to use copyrighted material, and forms to help you keep track
of the images and imformation you have been given permission
to use. Prepared by students as part of the web site "From
Pokemon to Picasso: Art Right and Wrongs."
Project Calculator -
Develop a step-by-step schedule for your research project.
- Thesaurus.com - Find words and their synonyms and
- What is Plagiarism? - Explains the importance of citing sources. QuickStudy
Guide from the University of Minnesota Libraries.
- Writing a Paper - Useful tips for getting started, finding sources,
taking notes, and writing and managing Paper stress.
- Writing Center Handouts - Tips for almost every aspect of writing
a paper, including writing style, tips for specific assignments,
and writing for different audiences. From the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Education World PowerPoint Tutorial - A presentation that teaches PowerPoint
- PowerPoint in the Classroom- Easy to follow instructions on creating a PowerPoint
presentation. Includes tips on adding images, sound and motion,
timing and rehearsing, and how to take it with you.
Duluth Public Library, 520 W. Superior St., Duluth MN